Job Available – Technical Lead
- This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week.
- The position is exempt, eligible for paid time off, and eligible for medical and other benefits.
- The Technical Lead reports to the DevShop Manager.
- This position is remote. AnnieCannons is based out of the Oakland, CA area with no physical office at this time due to the pandemic, but will be seeking new office space in the Oakland area in the future.
- It is a 12-month position, with the possibility of extensions.
AnnieCannons (AC) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit dedicated to training survivors of human trafficking and gender-based violence to be programmers, giving them both the economic and technological empowerment to support themselves and their families.
AnnieCannons’ employees are its greatest asset. They tackle one of the world’s most vexing challenges – preventing human trafficking and empowering its survivors – with passion, grit and tremendous empathy. AnnieCannons seeks and retains people who are not only devoted to this hard and important work, but who thrive on swiftly developing and embracing cutting-edge, proven methods to assist survivors. In that way, we combine the nimbleness and pace of a start-up with the mission and values of a non-profit. The work is demanding, the staff are capable, and the rewards are profound.
AnnieCannons is seeking a capable and experienced individual to join our Engineering team and lead our graduate developers on various projects. Our DevShop program is a 6-month program for the recent graduates of our AnnieCannons Training Program. The program allows our graduates access to on-the-job experience as software engineers. Technical Leads are responsible for supporting our interns as they work on projects. In addition to providing support and code review for developers, the Technical Lead will help in growing our in-house engineering team’s capabilities and driving the AnnieCannons portfolio of products forward in quality, features, and scalability. This engineer will demonstrate the ability to partner effectively with the AnnieCannons team of survivors of human trafficking and gender-based violence.
This position is external facing and will require you to take meetings with third parties and individuals outside of AnnieCannons. AnnieCannons’ team members are free to use any name, handle, or pseudonym but your likeness and your name/handle/pseudonym may be revealed to outside parties in voice/image/video/written or other forms. Additionally, AnnieCannons frequently promotes the fact that many of our staff members are survivors and graduates of our program when conveying information about our organization to the public. Therefore, people outside of AnnieCannons might assume you are a survivor, whether you are or not. Please be sure you are comfortable with this before applying.
Support and Mentorship
- Support five or more interns working on in-house projects.
- Conduct technical planning meetings.
- Conduct office hours/regular work sessions for each product where developers can ask project-specific questions and work through issues.
- Perform code reviews and review PRs to give feedback to developers
Technical Management and Code Implementation
- Work with the Product team to develop sprints and participate in Sprint Planning, Reviews and Retros.
- Refine development tickets by adding technical details related to how the acceptance criteria will be met.
- Conduct regular standups and troubleshoot day-to-day issues with developers to remove technical blockers.
- Communicate with the Product team if any individual or set of tasks are at risk of not being completed prior to the Sprint Planning meeting and if you foresee any overall project risk, in terms of timeline or completion.
- Setup and support the building of backend systems for our web application and mobile application products.
- Contribute code to various projects, as needed.
- Produce technical specification documents (where required) on specific projects. Direct and check drafting work.
- Demonstrated ability to partner well with marginalized populations is mandatory. This can be demonstrated through professional or volunteer roles, or life experience.
- At least 2 years experience in software/computer engineering.
- Experience collaborating with other engineers to create apps with significant design and back-end engineering aspects
- Experience with AWS, basic devops, and scaling infrastructure to support increases in users.
- Experience in SQL and Postgres (or other SQL database implementations).
- Hands-on experience with Agile methodologies like scrum
- Hands-on experience using tools like JIRA for issue management (stories, bugs, backlog)
- Ability to set up guidelines for engineering best practices and implement them in a measurable way (Code Reviews, Unit test Coverage), etc.
- Ability to mentor engineers (problem solving approach, iterative thinking etc.)
- Strong problem solving skills and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Experience with developing a microservices based platform
- Potential candidate will be a team-oriented person who can work in a fast-paced office with minimal supervision
Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter, please respond to this question:
- AnnieCannons is dedicated to transforming survivors of human trafficking and gender-based violence into software engineers. Why are you interested in working with our organization and in this role, in particular?
PLEASE BE AWARE: AnnieCannons’ policy on the employment of related persons requires job applicants to disclose if they are related to a current AnnieCannons employee. Any misrepresentation or omission may result in the applicant being disqualified from further consideration or dismissed from employment if discovered after a hiring decision has been made. Please see a summary of the AnnieCannons policy below, and a definition of “related persons.”
AnnieCannons requires that all job applicants and staff members be judged solely on the basis of their qualifications, without any possibility or appearance of favoritism or other inequitable interference, if the applicant or employee is related to AnnieCannons stakeholders or has other close personal relationships with AnnieCannons stakeholders.
To avoid actual favoritism or conflicts of interest, and the perception of either, AnnieCannons governs the job application processes and the employment of people related to or holding close personal relationships to AnnieCannons staff members, board members, donors, or other AnnieCannons stakeholders pursuant to the provisions of this policy.
For the purposes of this policy, “related persons” include: Children, wards, parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, first cousins, grandchildren, the “step” versions of all of the preceding, parents-in-law, children-in-law, siblings-in-law, spouses, domestic partners, intimate partners and people living in the same household.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AnnieCannons is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and seek diversity and are committed to supporting an inclusive and respectful environment for all. Individuals who have experience with human trafficking, exploitation, substance use or are people of color, marginalized genders, or members of LGBTQIA+ communities, or people who have experienced housing or food insecurity, are strongly encouraged to apply.